Saturday, May 9, 2009

The fog lifts

I was unconscious for about 2 weeks.  I am told that I had all sorts of tubes connected to me.  But when I regained consciousness I only had the tracheostomy, the ryles tube and urine catheter. 

Unlike Rip Van Winkle, I did not wake up suddenly one day and wonder what I was doing in a hospital.  I surfaced slowly and gradually everything around me became clearer.  I don't know how long this took.  At that time I did not know how long it had been since I had fainted in the bathroom. After a few days, I  learnt that I had suffered a brain stem stroke.  I knew only vaguely about strokes and knew nothing about the brain stem. 

At this time I used to look frequently at a rectangular patch on the wall opposite to me trying to figure out what it was.  Each day it will became a bit more clear but I could not understand what it was.  One day it suddenly clicked into focus: it was just an ordinary electrical board!

No comments:

Post a Comment